Skip to main content

75 and 19 years of marriage together



So I drove up to my aunt and uncles house last night to visit my mom. I am trying to be a good son and visit my mom every weekend or every other weekend as she goes through one of the biggest struggles in her life. She has been living with Don and Christina, who I like to call the angels of West Hills, for almost 10 years now.

When my mom was first diagnosed with cancer, it was Christina who jumped in with both feet and began to research alternate treatments. Don was always busy driving them to the hospital for tests and staying over when mom would have an overnight visit. Both of them have been a complete and utter blessing in my moms life as well as mine.

Today marks a special day in both of their lives as Don just turned 75. He moved here in 1977 and has been a strong part of the community ever since. He has seen the community grow and change over the decades and has remained humble through it all.

Don and Christina have been married for 19 years today also, which is a feat of accomplishment as well. Most couples don't last more than a few years in todays volatile and ever changing climate. Christina gets frustrated with Don about not taking the garbage out or something of that nature. Don's response is, "Well I thought I did..." Christina shared with me that she gets frustrated sometimes with him, but when she hears him say that, she laughs hysterically and realizes what a gem of a man she has married. Don always speaks of Christina in high regard. He says she basically "runs" the family and is the glue that keeps the household together.

Despite their differences, (Don likes to golf and work on Harleys as well as ride when the weather is nice and Christina is active with acupuncture. ,massage therapy and singing in the Church choir) they seem to find common ground and work well together. A very yin and yang type of relationship that has worked for 19+ years and hopefully many more.

So here is to an amazing couple who have lasted through many storms in the seas of life. Here is to wishing you many more years together. Thanks for not only being so wonderful to each other , but those around you as well. Thank you for being the wonderful, loving and caring people that you both are.

Until next time...

Comments

  1. *Nice post. I learn something more challenging on different blogs everyday. It will always be stimulating to read content from other writers and practice a little something from their store. I’d prefer to use some with the content on my blog whether you don’t mind. Natually I’ll give you a link on your web blog. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Feels like a throat punch to my heart

So, I thought today was going to be just another Sunday of lounging around and netflixing.  I don't think I have ever been so wrong in my life.  To start with, Facebook reminded me of my memories.  I happened to click on a friends link and decided to follow another link to my very first girlfriends sisters page.  Its random how I got there, but I blame facebook.

To my shock, I saw that her sister had passed on the 22nd of November.  I was shocked because I knew that she wasn't that old.  I reached out to an old mutual acquaintance and found out it was pretty sudden and unexpected.  That had me in some kinda mood.  Because of that, I began to text and email friends and check in and make sure then were okay.

I got a text message from a close colleague I used to work with at a previous job.

Beck: "whats shakin CB"
Me: "Not much just wanted to say hello.  Had a wake up call today.  Found out first girlfriends sister just passed away.  So sad...she was young"
B…

Screw back up plans

Yes I said it.  Yes I have had quite a few unsuccessful ventures and I have recently started reading blogs that suggest backup plans.  I don't agree and I will tell you why.

When you have a back up plan you have an "oh shit that didn't work and I have to do something about it". Its like whatever it is going on in your life is going to fail or stop being at some point. Newsflash: You are correct!  NOTHING lasts forever. Your job, your marriage, your income stream, your family and most certainly not your startup or your job.  For those of you wishing to go back to the old days, its not going to happen.  The age of chivalry is dying and the startup that you create will be dead within 10-15 years.  We don't live in our parents or grandparents economy. Hell the way we communicate is changing. See example below and try and decipher what I am saying to you

☝☺✊✋✌❤👀👂👃👄👬👭👮👪👫👶💋💖💔💞😀😑😚😥🙆🙅🙈🙉🙊😞😞😞

Did you figure it out yet.  If so, please pat yourself …

Just a friendly update on me :-)

Hey everyone

Just wanted to give an update. You may remember that I said I was going to be coming back to California, well it is official.  I am heading down May 1. I will most likely take the train and stop in Napa to visit my cousin Stephen Bordes at his winery for a day or two.  From there, I will catch a train to San diego.

I am currently looking for work and open to any positions that may be available, I just ask that you don't hold it against me because I have a masters degree.  I have seen many companies shy away from hiring me because I have a Masters Degree.  I am honestly looking to get off my feet and find a base of operation. My home is California and I know that now.  I am native and the air, soil and water are in my bones.

I am looking to establish which means I will need to find a place to live (that I pay for monthly), maybe even get a car (down the road) for now I know that I will have to use the bus and I am okay with that. I am nervous as hell about this move …