The loss of Prince...

The devastating news of the day.  For me this is a hard pill to swallow.  I was never a fan of Prince until about the 90's.  I became a fan of his style when the soundtrack to Batman and then Diamonds and Pearls came out.  For some reason Batman had a song on it that dug so deep into my soul...its as if Prince was bringing me to life for the first time. The song was called scandalous and I have copied the lyrics below.

Come. Closer.
Feel what you've been dyin' for
Don't be afraid, baby
Touch it and explode
Understand, understand that I love you
But more than that, I want you
Everybody always told me
"Good things come to those who wait"
But I've got so much on the menu
I just can't wait, I just can't, I can't wait baby
I can't wait baby
I can wrap my legs around you girl
Cause sugar, you know you're just the kind of lover
That I've been looking for
Tonight why don't we skip all the for play, mamma
And just get down here on the floor
Scandalous
I'm talkin' about you and me
Marvelous, baby, baby, can't you see
Anything you've ever dreamed of
I'm willing to be
Tonight it's gonna be scandalous
Cause to night I'm gonna be your fantasy
My dearest, my dearest
When I listened to this song, I could feel every emotion that he sang, and vibrate with every verse.  His music was so fucking real and so raw that you couldn't help but feel or dance.  (A side note, nice work to google play music for changing the color bar today in honor of Prince).  I fell in love with women and I definitely dedicated this song to a few girls.  Prince made me in some random way feel sexy.  He made me feel more sexually confident for some reason. Its as if to say, "Hey, you are a sexy mother fucker, now get out there and show the world"
I don't get emotional over things like this, but this one hit me differently.  Part of it is the fact that I so often made reference to seeing him in concert and yet I never did.  The other part may be realizing my own mortality to some extent.  He was an incredible artist and he will be sorely missed.  I remember seeing his latest album and thought to myself "Does Prince still have it?" After listening to it repeatedly in my car, I realized "Holy shit, this guy still has it"
I visited his earlier works after truly loving Batman and Diamonds and Pearls.  I cannot stress enough how powerful his music was for me. I am saddened by a generation that will never get to know such an amazing artist. I am saddened by the generations that may not get to hear his amazing lyrics and music because they have been tricked into thinking Nicki Minaj, Ke$ha, Drake, Iggy Azalea, Fetty Wap and many others are "good music".  Yes i realize that is a generalization, however, they don't hold a candle to the music that Prince created.
Prince's spirit is free now.  I hope his spirit descends on some of the shit artists today and inspires them to shut the hell up and get off the stage.  Its the end of a generation and his music will live on and passed on whenever possible, so long as I have breath.  "Jab Tak Hai Jaan"-Til I Breathe My Last
Until next time...

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Broken heart and irreplaceable smile

I broke up with caffeine...

Feels like a throat punch to my heart

Screw back up plans

Just a friendly update on me :-)