I broke up with caffeine...


So it has been a bout 5 days since caffeine and I broke up.  I had a few friends and a nurse practitioner send me a few articles relating to caffeine and the effects on "older" men.  After doing some "Non Fake News research, I decided to give up my love for the black gold. 

It was fucking hard and I never thought it would be this rough.  The first three days headaches were so bad that when I was lying in bed at night, I thought I was going to have to run to the ER and have them do a Cat Scan.  The pounding at the base of my skull wasn't tolerable. (It was but I have never felt pain like that).  It felt as if someone took a wooden baseball bat and smashed it against the base of my skull.  Then the pain above my eye sockets became like a constant nail slowly hammered into my head.

Some of the reasons I gave it up:

Cardiovascular ProblemsApproximately 4 cups of coffee or a beverage with equivalent amounts of caffeine can raise blood pressure for many hours. The measured blood pressure levels are associated with increased risk of cardiovascular disease.
StressCaffeine consumption in the early morning affects the body until bedtime, amplifying stress levels throughout the day. Caffeine increases stress hormones and elevates one's perception of stress. Decreasing coffee and caffeinated beverages will help to lower often exaggerated stress-reactions.
Emotional DisturbancesWhen more than 2g. of caffeine enters the body, the heart becomes stimulated and blood vessels dilate. Shortly after, blood pressure increases, causing bronchial relaxation in the lungs and increased breathing. These physiological reactions tend to cause irritability, restlessness, insomnia, and agitation.
Blood Sugar Swings:Type 2 diabetics should be aware that caffeine may potentially impair insulin's action, causing a detectable rise in blood sugar levels. Approximately 2 to 2 ½ cups per day may cause this effect.
Gastrointestinal ProblemsBecause it is a stimulant, caffeine can cause increased contractions of stomach muscles - possibly causing abdominal pain, diarrhea, and increased bowel movements. Those who have irritable bowel syndrome, Crohn's disease, or colitis may want to be extra cautious before choosing caffeinated beverages. 
Nutritional DeficienciesCaffeine inhibits the absorption of some nutrients and causes the urinary excretion of calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, and trace minerals.
Male Health ProblemsResearch shows that men can significantly reduce their risk for urinary and prostate problems by making dietary changes, which include eliminating coffee and caffeine.
Female Health ProblemsFibrocystic breast disease, PMS, osteoporosis, infertility problems, miscarriage, low birth weight and menopausal problems, such as hot flashes, are all exacerbated by caffeine consumption. Women on birth control pills are particularly at risk since they tend to have a decreased ability to detoxify caffeine.
AgingCaffeine tolerance may decrease with age. Production of DHEA, melatonin and other vital hormones decline with age. Caffeine helps to speed up this process. Caffeine also dehydrates the body, contributes to aging of the skin and kidneys, inhibits DNA repair and slows the ability of the liver to detoxify foreign toxins.
Adrenal ExhaustionCaffeine is a stimulant which binds to adenosine receptors in the brain. This leads to a range of complex reactions which causes an increase of stimulation at the adrenal glands. This can increase vulnerability to a variety of health disorders related to inflammation and fatigue.

Now please hear me, there are benefits to caffeine for sure.  As long as you aren't drinking more than 2 cups a day, you may not suffer any of the negative. There is plenty of research showing the benefits of caffeine.  For me it was a personal reason in that, I am getting older, and I have experienced some of those effects listed above. I am getting older and need to look out for my health the best I can.  Will I ever drink a cup of coffee again?  I am sure I will.  I am going to stay clean for a month or two and then go from there. 



Coffee is such a social thing and I appreciate coffee moments with good friends. In Sweden, they do Fika which in swedish translates to:
Fika (Swedish pronunciation: [²fiːka]) is a Swedish word meaning "to have coffee", often accompanied with pastries, cookies or pie.

Its a big deal in sweden and I really loved my Aunt sharing that tradition with me when I was there in 2016 visiting my grandmother.  I love how people put down their phones and embrace the time with a friend or a loved one.  So do I think my coffee days are over....No.  Just limited.  Heres to health and me in 2018 and beyond.

Until next time...

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Broken heart and irreplaceable smile

Feels like a throat punch to my heart

Screw back up plans

Just a friendly update on me :-)