How do you live in gratitude?

A sunset


So I don't check my facebook near as often as I used to.  It used to be an hourly/half hour ritual for me.  I took the app off my phone and only check it like once or twice a day, tops.  I looked yesterday morning and happened to find something from a great friend.  It has become my life personified.  Its from my great friend Marshall Crawford.  Marshall was instrumental in 2010 in me keeping my sanity.  We met via a mutual friend on facebook after I visited his favorite breakfast spot (and soon to be mine) A Little Moore Coffee Shop.

Marshall was going through his own hell at the time and had relocated to a small 1 bedroom apartment, close to the coffee shop.  After chatting for a bit, he and I realized that we were both movie nuts as well as whiskey/scotch connoisseurs. Marshall didn't have much, but he always seemed to make time for dinner or some special whiskey moments.  It was a blast and we have remained in contact since.

Here is what Marshall posted:

When you look ahead in your life, are you someone that expects things to work out for the best, or do you assume the worst? When we envision the future, our rostral anterior cingulate cortex determines whether our vision will be clear-blue skies or dark storm clouds. But optimism and pessimism are not hardwired. By using cognitive behavioural techniques, we can overcome our natural tendency toward doom and gloom. So, what do we want to do? Do we want to dwell on the mistakes of the past, pick at the scabs of every wound? Or can we make a fresh start, be grateful for what we have, cherish our relationships? Our lives are richer when we chose optimism. And if we do we might just see that our glass is a little more full than we thought.
Dr. Daniel Pierce

I read it and reread it.  Needless to say, I love it.  I know I rehashed it on facebook, but for those of you that follow me on google plus, twitter and tumblr, hopefully you will see it and you will get some semblance of inspiration from it.  

We are in a difficult time.  I read this article yesterday and it floored me but then i thought, "wait that is me" 76% of americans are living paycheck to paycheck.  It may not be the most ideal time, but you have to keep faith that it will get better.  You are NOT hardwired to fail.  Your mind determines what outcome your see.  When you wake up every morning, start FIRST thing, before you turn on a light, or put your feet on the floor with an attitude of gratitude. List the things that you are grateful for (my advice is start with the people and work outward---things come last).  Be thankful for your wife or partner, be thankful for your kids, or your single life.  Be thankful for the people that believed in you when you didn't believe in yourself and gave you a chance.  I could go on and on, but my point is---start with gratitude.  

The problem is we have a bad day and that bad day turns into a bad week, month and year.  The truth is, that is on you.  Change your negative thoughts. Recognize where you are in the thought and FLIP it.  The more you dwell, the longer the thought stays there.  I HIGHLY recommend meditation.  This can come silently or with calming music or with prayer.  However you do it, do it daily.  

Your attitude of gratitude will pay off.  30 days will begin your habit and you will see that things in life, really aren't that bad.  That instead of saying you don't have money to pay the rent, you appreciate the rent you paid.  Instead of wanting the big house the neighbors have, be thankful for the roof over your head.  A good friend of mine just spent about 6 months in his car and each time I saw him, I reminded him to be thankful for at least having that.  He did and now that he landed a full time job, he said "Thank you for reminding me about the good"

Its everywhere!  Can you see it?  If not, reframe!  If you need my help, please don't hesitate to reach out. It is why I am here.

Until next time...

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Broken heart and irreplaceable smile

I broke up with caffeine...

Feels like a throat punch to my heart

Screw back up plans

Just a friendly update on me :-)