Airplane mode on the iPhone

So today i needed to get out of the office, my home office for a while. I had just wrapped up a 2 week accounting learning class, taught by my professor Nancy (my accountant) with lots of back and forth and trying to prep everything for the tax man.

I told myself that I wanted to be on my bike no later than 1pm. And sure enough by 12:45, I was geared up and almost ready to go. I remembered something my girlfriend Amy said about disconnecting. She said we live in such a connected world that sometimes you just have to switch off. I wasn't sure how to do this since my media player is my cell phone is my PDA. Then out of nowhere it hit me, put it on airplane mode. In this mode you can still listen to your fantastic tunes, you just don't have to have the distraction of calls, emails and text (SMS) messages.

I must say thank you to amy for reminding me what is important and that every so often it is okay to "tune out". I also want to thank the universe for dropping the solution into my brain. So often we get so caught up in everything that we forget to disconnect for ourselves so that we can charge up. We stay late at the office thinking that if we finish that one last report, or tally that one last spreadsheet, we will have less to do the next day, when in reality we should be saying, enough is enough and I will get to it tomorrow so i can spend some time with my amazing family or be with the one I love. In the simplest form or term, we need to find "balance"

This lyric stands out from "Tool" one of my all time favorite bands. It often reminds me that that little voice inside our head sometimes is a fucking liar.

I am just a worthless liar.
I am just an imbecile.
I will only complicate you.
Trust in me and fall as well.
I will find a center in you.
I will chew it up and leave,
I will work to elevate you
just enough to bring you down.

Sometimes we hear that voice and we don't know how to get rid of it. I say, go for a run, go for a ride, walk, workout, surf, or just breathe. Use that energy to fuel your run, ride, walk. Learn to disconnect not only from your work, but from your demons or the voices that may be raging in your head. Sometimes we forget to just be. We are not work and work will never define who we are. You are exactly where you need to be in the universe at this moment.

Have a great saturday!

Until next time...



Comments

Most Popular Posts

Broken heart and irreplaceable smile

I broke up with caffeine...

Feels like a throat punch to my heart

Screw back up plans

Just a friendly update on me :-)