Helping the Homeless

So I stopped by the 7-11 on the 101 in Oceanside this morning to get my last cup of coffee before heading home. On the way in, I noticed a gentlemen sitting by his bike with two bags filled with what looked like crushed aluminum cans. He was dirty but his smile was heartwarming. I went inside and poured myself a quick cup of blueberry coffee ( I know it sounds random, but if you add two stok shots and a few vanilla latte international delight creamers, you have yourself a winner). I went to the register and paid for my refill. I always try to bring a cup with me as I don't like use new cups. It just seems like a waste and better for the environment if you you bring your own.

On my way out, the gentleman next to the bike said something.

I asked, "I'm sorry, I didn't hear you," as I smiled

He said, "Can you spare some change"

I responded, "I don't give money because I don't feel that would help. Have you eaten this morning?"

He responded with a very quick, "No"

I said, "Come inside and I will buy you some food and drink"

He looked and said, "Really?"

"Absolutely", I responded

He proceeded to ask if he could get a breakfast burrito and a soda. I said, "help yourself to what you desire"

He approached the counter with a burrito and a coke. I asked, "Is that going to be enough?" He replied, "Oh yes sir" He then said, "Thank you very much" I said, "You are very welcome" He proceeded to go heat up his burrito. I smiled and waived goodbye to him and the clerk.

I am a big believer in doing good when I can. I won't give them money, as when I was younger and much more naive, I gave a homeless guy a 20 after he proceeded to tell me that he, his wife and daughter, were going to be hungry this christmas as their car broke down on the way to Tallahassee. He and his supposed family were headed there to start a new job. I gave him the money and walked into the grocery store to buy my weekly rations. When I came out, I saw him coming out of the liquor store with a brown bottle of vodka. I was so hurt and walked up to him and said, "I hope your family will be able to enjoy that food you bought," I could tell he felt bad and I turned and walked away.

Now I don't give money, but I will always give food because I know what it is like to be hungry. It sucks. You can't think straight and makes you irritable. Hopefully the guy at 7-11 will have a little better outlook on life and not be hungry.

Until next time...

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Broken heart and irreplaceable smile

I broke up with caffeine...

Feels like a throat punch to my heart

Screw back up plans

Just a friendly update on me :-)