Skip to main content

Do you like to fly?

I have met numerous people over the years and the overwhelming answer is "No, I hate flying". I wonder if they really feel that way or if it is something that has been programmed into their heads for many years. I ask the question, "I wonder where the fear comes from?" Is it because of something they have seen, or possibly a loved one, family member or friend of a friend who was involved in a being in a plane crash.

We have all sat next to the chatty guy or girl who has told of their horror stories about turbulence or terrible landings or outrageous take offs, but aside from that, where does that fear come from and why does it stick. I personally believe that it all relates to our fear of death. When people make the associations about flying, they immediately think about crashing or worst case scenarios. Why do we do that? You wouldn't start a race thinking about hitting a wall at mile one, why would you do it on a plane?

This morning I had the pleasure of flying out of San Diego's own Carlsbad/Palomar airport. I can say that I am extremely pleased with the overall experience. The security line was short, the flight was shorter and very enjoyable and I was able to sit across the aisle from the cutest little boy sitting on his mothers lap. I was able to look out my window and see the bright moon lighting up the sky on my left, and the amazing sunrise to my right. Every so often, I would look down at the ripples in the ocean and see a famous person's face on the water. I saw Ronald Regan, mahatma Ghandi, and I am pretty sure some form of Jesus, although, I can only say I saw the one that everyone else pictures. Bottom line, my flight was utterly enjoyable.

Turbulence is a natural part of flying. I have been on flights in which the turbulence started at about 10,000 feet and didn't stop until we touched down at our destination, and I have been on flights that are like glass. I don't' say "take the good with the bad", but rather enjoy the process and understand what flying is. Currently, it is still the safest mode of transportation between destinations. Still safer than cars, boats and trains.

My humbled advice is to sit back, relax and enjoy the view. Travel is only getting more hectic as we move forward. We have few luxuries that we can truly enjoy so think about your flight, look out the window and start to enjoy the ride rather than waiting for the crash.

Until next time

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feels like a throat punch to my heart

So, I thought today was going to be just another Sunday of lounging around and netflixing.  I don't think I have ever been so wrong in my life.  To start with, Facebook reminded me of my memories.  I happened to click on a friends link and decided to follow another link to my very first girlfriends sisters page.  Its random how I got there, but I blame facebook.

To my shock, I saw that her sister had passed on the 22nd of November.  I was shocked because I knew that she wasn't that old.  I reached out to an old mutual acquaintance and found out it was pretty sudden and unexpected.  That had me in some kinda mood.  Because of that, I began to text and email friends and check in and make sure then were okay.

I got a text message from a close colleague I used to work with at a previous job.

Beck: "whats shakin CB"
Me: "Not much just wanted to say hello.  Had a wake up call today.  Found out first girlfriends sister just passed away.  So sad...she was young"
B…

Just a friendly update on me :-)

Hey everyone

Just wanted to give an update. You may remember that I said I was going to be coming back to California, well it is official.  I am heading down May 1. I will most likely take the train and stop in Napa to visit my cousin Stephen Bordes at his winery for a day or two.  From there, I will catch a train to San diego.

I am currently looking for work and open to any positions that may be available, I just ask that you don't hold it against me because I have a masters degree.  I have seen many companies shy away from hiring me because I have a Masters Degree.  I am honestly looking to get off my feet and find a base of operation. My home is California and I know that now.  I am native and the air, soil and water are in my bones.

I am looking to establish which means I will need to find a place to live (that I pay for monthly), maybe even get a car (down the road) for now I know that I will have to use the bus and I am okay with that. I am nervous as hell about this move …

Movie Review: The Family Fang- 4.5 out of 5 stars

Narrator:  Imagine your dead. Feel yourself go numb. Start with your fingers, move to your hands, your wrists, right on up to your elbows. Everything is dead. If we can imagine our own death, but still manage to come back to life, then it proves we can survive, anything.

Baxter Fang: Don't be afraid. Own the moment. If you're in control then the chaos will happen around you and not to you.

This was one of the best and possibly overlooked movies of 2015 (which is why I am just now reviewing it in 2016) in my humbled opinion.  Jason Bateman is not only an incredible actor, but an extremely talented director.  I was never a fan of arrested development (probably because I never watched it).  However, after seeing Bad Words and now The Family Fang, I have a whole new respect for Jason Bateman

The story line:Annie and Baxter, the adult children of the controversial husband and wife conceptual performance art couple famous for their quirky macabre public performances, have never got ove…