Training for Crits

Friends,

Well today was a great day. I went out with SDBC to Huennekens for some crit training. Mind you I have NEVER done any crit training in my life. We started out doing about 20 laps for warm up then ended up riding to a park where we did bump and rides. This was interesting because we were on the grass. Lots of fun. I paired up with Ling. Very nice guy...we practiced up high and bumping shoulders and elbows in our drops.
After this exercise we ended doing "ring of fire". This was pretty challanging because you make a ring of water bottles and then 12-15 guys get inside the ring and ride around. the goal is that you try to make another guy/gal go outside of the ring. I lasted pretty close to the end, but lost my balance and had to come out. That sucked...but it was good learning experience. If you haven't ever done this type of training, I highly recommend it.

From here we rode back to the course and talked and then did 7 laps. I am cat 5 and I have a ton of work ahead of me. These guys smoked me on the first lap. They were easily holding 25 miles per hour the whole way. I realized then that I need to work on Sprints and intervals. All of my training has been in distance. I tend to be a distance runner and rider, so I have to change my energy systems. We did have a rider go down, Ling. He got pretty scraped up, but the team pulled together and got him patched up pretty well. He didn't even leave, he went right back to riding the last 10 lapper we did. What an awesome guy. AMAZING. I for sure would have quit...not him. He kept going and still kicked my ass.

The last 10 were brutal. We did a European start an did two warm up laps and 8 regulars. By the 7th lap the team passed me. Again, chalk it up to experience. I am learning and hope to get better as time goes on. Noah...You and me have some work we can do together. So with that said, thank you SDBC for teaching me something I didn't know. I will practice until the next crit which is in Dominguez Hills. Mark...thanks for the information and I look forward to learning this year. PS. If anyone wants to sponser me, I need jerseys for when I do the crits and time trials. They are 60 bucks a piece and any help is greatly appreciated. Email me if interested.

Until next time
Chad

Comments

  1. Crits sound tough, but the ring of fire sounded fun.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for submitting your comment. I will review and add it to my blog comments shortly. Thank you so much for reading!

Most Popular Posts

Broken heart and irreplaceable smile

I broke up with caffeine...

Feels like a throat punch to my heart

Screw back up plans

Just a friendly update on me :-)