Movie Review: Reign Over Me

2 out of 5 stars
So i decided last minute to go and see this film. I left my house at 9:20, walked down to Horton Plaza, arrived at 9:40 and bought tickets for this movie. Apparently it wasn't all I thought it was going to be.

Adam Sandler plays a lost individual whose wife, 3 daughters and dog were all killed on one of the planes during the 9/11 attacks. He has a good friend who runs into him, Don Cheadle, who is a practicing dentist and was Sandler's room mate during dental school.

I don't want to spend a lot of time reviewing this movie. It did bring up some interesting thoughts and really made one stop and think. I couldn't help continually hearing the guy in the back row snoring as he fell asleep. 5 seconds later you would hear a loud "smack" from his girlfriend and he would wake up.

The movie was 2 hours and 4 minutes long and could have been cut by about 30 minutes. Some of the scenes were extremely long and drawn out. Sandler didn't do a great job of convincing me that he is suited for anything other than comedy and some mild drama. When you look at him in this movie, you think "toll booth willie" with long hair. I am not sure if it is his mannerisms or the way in which he carries himself, but I was not sold on his performance at all.

Don Cheadle, on the other hand had a very convincing role and was married to the beautiful Jada Pinkett Smith. Cheadle seemed to be trapped in his own dilemna of routine and boredom as the film opens up. Charlie, played by sandler, seemed to wake cheadle out of his slumber and teach him there is a whole other world that exists outside of the dentist office and that he needs to take more control of his life and speak up for what he wants.

There were some good performances and some not so good performances. My advice is wait until this is out on video and netflix or blockbuster it. It isn't justifiable to spend $10.00 on a movie ticket in a small theatre without any notable performances.

Until next time, Have a great day and happy movie going.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the warning. It sounds like I thought it would from watching the trailer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for submitting your comment. I will review and add it to my blog comments shortly. Thank you so much for reading!

Most Popular Posts

Broken heart and irreplaceable smile

I broke up with caffeine...

Feels like a throat punch to my heart

Screw back up plans

Just a friendly update on me :-)