A lot to be thankful for...

I woke up this morning in a different place, a different state of mind. I walked downstairs, greeted by my three loving kitties, Pepper, Precious and Tigher and placed food in their bowls. I smiled as i finished filling their bowls because I know how happy they get for their breakfast. I may not be able to give much to the world, but for these three girls, I can provide a loving, nurturing home for them to live in. Thats something to be thankful for.

I walked into the kitchen and turned on the TV and began to watch one of the big name news channel. I noticed how the news seems to be focused on the things that don't really matter (not a new revelation-just a refresher). We have enough bad news to deal with every day. It would be nice to see a different news company, that focused on the goodness and wonder that happens on a daily basis. (I have one company in mind that could do a fantastic job of it MindFox Productions, I met Dr Fox and he has a wonderful energy and could do a great job in changing our views) I am sure we have enough goodness to fill the news every day, but unfortunately, goodness doesn't sell, unless it is selling a product that makes us feel good about something bad. I immediately give thanks for all the wonderful people in my life such as my mom, my family, my close friends because that is something to be thankful for.

I went to the freezer and pulled out the can of Trader Joes New Orleans coffee with chicory. I know, many of you are saying, "Yuck, chicory" and I respect that. It is an acquired taste, either you love it or you hate it. As I brewed the coffee, i just mellowed out for a bit watching the TV about how Texas wants to bring back corporal punishment aka "Licks". CNN was asking for comments and I had to write it. My father was adamantly opposed to corporal punishment and told all my teachers at no time were they to administer corporal punishment to me. He told them, he would do the job of disciplining me. I remember one time I was sent to the principals office and given "licks" for disrupting the teacher, actually I was laughing at my friend as class started and I am assuming she had a bad day and sent both of us to the principals office. When I went home that night, I told my dad and it was one of the times i remember him getting very mad. He said he was taking me to school in the morning.
The next morning he drove me to school with books in hand. He parked the car and marched right into the principals office. My father apologized for the intrusion and said, "I told you that you are never allowed to administer corporal punishment to my son". He informed my principal that either he agree that he would never give corporal punishment to me again or that my father would request an emergency board meeting to further address the issue. I never got corporal punishment again, so that was something to be thankful for.

I poured my first cup of coffee and added all the fixings. The first sip is always the best, never too hot, never too cold, never too sweet, never too bitter, but just right. The flavor brought me back to a time when things were simpler. I thought about drinking coffee with my grandfather early in the morning while watching, "The Mary Tyler Moore Show". We used to laugh and start the day right. If I wasn't watching it at his place, I would watch it at home and call him in the afternoon to talk about it. He had the most amazing laugh and soothing voice and I always used to say, "What would gramps do?" when i got into situations. It seems his guidance was always spot on. That is something I was thankful for.

As I took my second sip, I was reminded that I just finished the my fathers book. It has been a long time coming. He started the book in 1990 and stopped writing in about 1995. I didn't read his manuscript until many years later, 2003 to be exact. It is really a small piece of his life, but a huge part of mine. I copied the original from hardcopy to electronic. In 2008, it took me almost a year to get it transcribed. Yesterday at 10 minutes to 9, in the coffee bean and tea leaf, as they were closing, I put the final word in. It may not be fully finished due to edits and typo's, but for me it is a start and something to be thankful for.

My challenge for you? What are you thankful for, truly thankful for? Can we find a compromise rather than pointing fingers? See if you can find the good in things and find the things to be thankful for. We are all one and on this journey together.

Until next time...

Comments

  1. Chad, Very cool that you got your Dad's book transcribed and love the memories you have about your Dad and your Grandpa. It makes me stop for a minute to remember mine. Such different guys but such huge influences on me. I often find myself doing something or saying something that reminds me of them. I miss them a lot, but am so grateful, finally so really grateful for them both.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for submitting your comment. I will review and add it to my blog comments shortly. Thank you so much for reading!

Most Popular Posts

Broken heart and irreplaceable smile

I broke up with caffeine...

Feels like a throat punch to my heart

Screw back up plans

Just a friendly update on me :-)