Dear Dad...

Dear Dad...

Well its been almost 11 years since you passed.  It seems a lot has changed since you were here, or at least it seems to me.  The biggest thing I notice is that you are not around for me to call anymore when I have those bad days.  I miss hearing your voice on the other end of the line.  Sometimes you gave advice and other times you just listened.  I always counted on you being there and I kinda miss it every so often.

Mom is doing okay.  She misses you the most, although, i would say it is a tie.  She has her health issues, but she she is doing okay. I try to visit her as often as I possibly can. She is getting fragile but still as beautiful as you remember her.  She has a smile that warms the core of my being and our relationship since you passed has become incredibly strong.  If I can't come visit, I try and give her a call weekly just to let her know that I love her.  She is still an avid crossword and now souduku puzzle figure-outer (I just made that word, I know you would be proud of me)

I am still trying to finish your book.  It is a labor of love but brings frustration at times. I mean how do you put such an amazing mans life into 30 chapters and still leave the readers with a sense of awe and wonder as well helping them to become a little more introspective.  I get frustrated because I want it to be just right and I always doubt myself.  Doubt is such a killer...I am sure you know what I am talking about.

On a good note, the travel bug you planted in me when I was a young kid, is still with me. Now with all the chaos in air travel, and mergers, (btw you were right, the running is down to about major carriers-Delta and United...I don't really consider American an airline and hope they get bought out by southwest) I find comfort in the insanity.  I remember small memories of you taking me to the San Diego airport and watching the planes take off and then flying National/Pan Am to New Orleans to visit grandma and gramps.  I have always loved airports and thank you for that love. You taught me how fun, no matter where you are going, that air travel can be.  Do you remember when we had the field trip and my 2nd grade class came to your office at North County Travel and you showed all the kids the big map of the world and the cool computer systems that you used to use to book the airline tickets on?  After you showed them all the cool stuff, you took us to thrifty and bought us all a scoop of ice cream.  I was a hero from that day on at my school.  I think that is the reason I got addicted to travel and technology.

I miss you and so does mom, some days more than others, but we are managing. I try to be a good person and think you instilled that in me.  You taught me to love someone no matter their skin color, religious beliefs or sexual orientation.  I am very thankful that I had such a great teacher and friend in you.  I see a lot of that missing in todays society.  Please know that you are never far from my mind.  I hope to do you great justice with your book and promise to get it published soon.  I miss you and love you..

your son

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Broken heart and irreplaceable smile

I broke up with caffeine...

Feels like a throat punch to my heart

Screw back up plans

Just a friendly update on me :-)