72 miles...are you serious.

I don't know why this seems to blow people away. My friend Chris and I decided to do our long ride today. He came over after work last night and crashed on my couch at midnight. I awoke at 6:30 and stared at the ceiling until 7:30 at which time, I got up and woke Chris up.

I made a vat of oatmeal and served us up two piping hot bowls. Some people don't like oatmeal, i happen to love it. This morning I got a little crazy and jazzed it up with some brown sugar and some strawberry syrup. It was damn good. We washed it down with some water and within 20 minutes we were dressed and on our bikes enjoying the brisk morning air of San Diego.

Chris kept askin me how far we were going to go. I said that he would find out when we turned around. We rode up the coast past UCSD, past Del Mar, through Solana Beach, steadily through Cardiff, slowly through Encinitas and Leucadia, and into Carlsbad. We went to the far end of Carlsbad and stopped at the starbucks for a cup of joe and some energy. Chris got the banana bread and I got a maple oat nut scone. Chris picked up the tab and I was grateful for that.

We talked for about 30 minutes about life, love and time. Chris went back into the starbucks to get some water for the journey back and the girl asked where we came from, He said San Diego, downtown. She freaked out and said "all the way from downtown...wow, that is amazing". I don't find it to be amazing unless I never rode a bike or exercised. I guess some people don' have jobs that give them the luxury of exercising like how I can.

I work hard when I am gone and often take for granted the beauty of San Diego and the long rides that I get to do. We made it back to my place at 3pm. He jumped in the shower and got ready for work at 5. I jumped in the kitchen and started making some pasta. Nothing better on a long days ride than some pasta. When he was finished, i took my famous 5 minute shower and got dressed in 2 minutes and jumped back into the kitchen where I added some more seasoning and spices to the pasta. I chose correctly because it really enhanced the flavor. We enjoyed the pasta and Chris was so grateful.

As we ate the pasta and we chatted, I was reminded once again of how blessed I am to have all of the wonderful things in my life. Where Chris comes from, Mazatlan, things are not as easy to come by. Shoes are a big deal and he and his brothers used to give thanks for the shoes that their grandmother and aunt would send them. A person has to work twice as hard there to be able to keep food on the table because wages are so low. So our $1.29 bag of pasta and $2.39 dollar jar of sauce would pretty much be all they could afford down there.

I was reminded of how we over eat here in this country and we waste much. Our portion sizes are too big and our waistlines are showing it. We are slowly becoming a very large population and it is nice to be able to get on a bike and ride and enjoy all that this great, free country, has to offer. Chris reminds me on a daily basis of things to be happy for and in return I remind him that all we can do is love those that have wronged us. We are good friends and I attracted him into my life for a reason. Don't take any of your friends for granted and give thanks every day for all of your friends, both the ones in your address book and on your myspace. :-)


Currently listening to:

Travis-Side

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Broken heart and irreplaceable smile

I broke up with caffeine...

Feels like a throat punch to my heart

Screw back up plans

Just a friendly update on me :-)