The dangers of drinking and driving...

Family, Friends and Acquantainces,

I haven't shared this with too many people. Some of you may know and some of you may not. I feel it is my responsibility to let people know about the dangers of drinking and driving.

On January 19, 2007, I was pulled over and arrested for driving under the influence. It was a scary and humiliating experience. I had to under go field sobriety tests, get handcuffed, take a ride downtown in the police car, get photographed (mug shot) and spend the night in a holding tank with several other offenders and the occasional crazy person.

I had lots of time on my hands as i was in and out of sleep and conciousness. I felt like a huge failure and couldn't believe what I had done. But I, like many out there felt it was okay to have a few drinks and drive home, because lets face it...it happens every day. We go to a company social and toss a few back, we go out with the girls and have a few martini's or glasses of wine. We then make the decision that it is okay to get behind the wheel of a 2000 lb automobile and drive home. I am here to tell you its not okay. For those of you that do it whether conciously or unconciously, you are playing with statistics. If you keep doing it you will end up getting a dui or worse, getting into an accident and killing either yourself or someone else.

If you live in California as I do, the law is pretty straightforward. 6 mos loss of license, mandatory dui school and hefty fines and possibly community service. This is the thing that companies don't tell you, like beer and wine companies. They tell you to drink responsibly. It isn't cheap. All said and done, this DUI is going to cost me nearly $8,000. I don't know about you, but I don't have a spare 8k lying around so it is a HUGE financial hindrance.

California is also lowering its BAC to .05 very soon. For those of you who don't know how many drinks that is, it is 2 12 ounce beers. I personally feel that the tolerance when behind the wheel should be .00, however, there are people who have a naturally high BAC.

I have been sober since the incident and will NEVER drink again. Some people say that is extreme, but it is my choice. You don't have to give up drinking, but be smart people. If you are going to go out with friends, co-workers or on a dinner date, please please please, make a conscious decision to take a taxi, walk or call a friend. I am offering my services for anyone here in San Diego who ever needs a ride. Email me at chadbordes@gmail.com and I will gladly give you my cell phone. I never want any of my family or friends to experience what I have experienced. I also don't want anyone doing something worse like hurting themselves or someone else because of the lack of responsibility.

Thank you for your time and please pass this on.

Chad

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Broken heart and irreplaceable smile

I broke up with caffeine...

Feels like a throat punch to my heart

Screw back up plans

Just a friendly update on me :-)